U.N. World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction a Resounding Success
DRI International is proud to have participated in the third U.N. World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction in Sendai, Japan, Mar. 14-18. Over 6,500 delegates attended the intergovernmental and multi-stakeholder events, and over 40,000 attended the public forum, making the event a resounding success!
The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction: 2015-2030 was adopted on March 18 and is now available on the conference website, along with all conference documents and videos. You can also view conference photos on its Flickr site.
Additional conference facts:
- 187 States were officially represented.
- Over 25 Heads of State, Vice Presidents, and Heads of Government attended.
- 100 participants were at ministerial level.
- 42 intergovernmental organizations, 236 non-government organizations, 38 UN entities; and over 300 private sector representatives attended.
- The international press was represented by 900 accredited journalists.
- ‘Paper Smart’ – Over 2,500 participants used the electronic conference box. More than 3,000 documents were downloaded, and more than 3,100 were e-mailed out. As a result, we estimate that ten million pages-worth of documents were not printed – an equivalent of 124 trees not cut down.
- A number of participants carbon offset their travel to Sendai.
- More than 200 persons with disabilities actively participated in the Conference proceedings as delegates, speakers, panelists, and contributors. 34 events from the Official Conference Programme and Public Forum addressed issues of disability.