To:
From:
Subject:
Please enter the text in the same order as shown in the Image below
Take Courses
Get Certified
Attend Events
Explore Resources
About
×

DRI International Accessibility Statement

DRI International is committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities can access the content offered through our website, www.drii.org.

If you are having trouble accessing www.drii.org, you can email driinfo@drii.org for assistance. Please put "ADA Inquiry" in the subject line of your email and we will assist you.

2021 Hurricane Season: What to Expect

May 24, 2021 Leave a comment DRI Admin

The Atlantic hurricane season is set to officially kick off June 1. Forecasters are once again predicting an active season, but how does it compare to last year’s historic level of storms?

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)’s Climate Prediction Center is officially expecting a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. There will be a likely range of 13-20 named storms, 6-10 of which could become hurricanes.

These predictions are based on neutral El Nino conditions, along with the potential return of La Nina coming later in the season, which runs to Nov. 1.

Since last year’s busy hurricane season, NOAA has made several updates to improve forecasting this year, including:

  • Upgrades to the Global Forecast System, extending ocean wave forecasts out from 10 to 16 days
  • An upgraded probabilistic storm surge model that includes more accurate wind and storm size predictions, and
  • A large array of drones launched to track the various parts of the life cycle of tropical storms.

Finally, the complete list of potential storm names has been released, so be prepared to hear more about Ana, Bill, Claudette, Danny and Elsa in the coming months.

Headquarters
1115 Broadway
12th Floor
New York, NY 10010

London Office
Tallis House
2 Tallis Street
London, EC4Y 0AB

©2021 DRI International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

consult-ic